Parks Associates Blog

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Bye, Bye IMMI. Hello, New and Improved PPM.

Bookmark and Share
As I finalize a new Parks Associates report assessing the digital video ad metrics market, I’m reminded of a blog I posted two years ago,
New Audience Measurement System? What about the PPM?

In the blog, I compared Integrated Media Measurement Inc’s (IMMI) mobile phone-based digital monitoring technology to Arbitron’s Portable People Meter (PPM). At the time I questioned, “What does IMMI’s product mean for Arbitron’s PPM?” and “Do these two services compete for the same market?”

I made the point that IMMI was a potential threat to Arbitron’s business. I argued IMMI’s technology was superior to the PPM and until the PPM measures media across multiple platforms as it is was designed to do then strategic opportunities will be created for companies like IMMI.

While I realize its old news, I think it’s safe to say Arbitron shared this point-of-view. In June,
Arbitron announced the acquisition of IMMI’s technology portfolio, patents, and trade name. Immediately following the announcement, Arbitron rolled out a new version of the PPM, the PPM 360. The PPM 360 extends the original technology to the mobile wireless platform.

Hmmm…looks like Arbitron hasn't quite given up on its initial goal to track audiences across multiple media platforms.


*Effective October 2010, IMMI’s CEO, Bill McKenna was named SVP of New Media Ventures at Arbitron. Per IMMI’s press contact on November 9, 2010, the company has been officially absorbed by Arbitron.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home